Saturday, April 24, 2010

An Interview with Andrea Kraus, Studio Gallery Artist


Studio Gallery artist Andrea Kraus has a solo show coming up, and there will be two receptions, plus a two-person show happening at the same time for members Jacqui Crocetta and Marie Straw. We hope you enjoy reading the below interview with her and have a chance to stop by to see her new pieces in person.

Andrea Kraus -- Painting in Haiku: "Surface of a petal-covered pond"
Show dates: April 28 - May 22, 2010
First Friday Reception: May 7, 6 - 8 pm
Artist's Reception: Saturday, May 8, 4 - 6 pm
2108 R Street N.W. Washington, DC
Regular gallery hours and contact info
Q: What inspired your new pieces for this exhibit?
A: For this show, I was inspired by the koi pond that we have on the Eastern Shore. I tried to capture the movement and peacefulness of the fish as they swim around the dark pool. They are very colorful and contrast with the dark green and brown of the water.
Q: Did you do anything differently--new techniques, subject matter, palette, etc.--for this show?
A: I tend to get bored with one subject so most of my shows change subject. This time I returned to large format acrylic with just a few monoprints (Chine-collé) and linoleum prints. I have used collage a lot in the past and for this show I repeated one composition three different times, one with shiny collage, one with Japanese patterned paper and one with just acrylic paint using a windowpane effect.
Q: What's your favorite part about being a Studio Gallery member?
A: I have been part of Studio Gallery for many years. It really affords me the freedom to explore and show what I want to without thinking about what someone else would like for me to exhibit. Having a "show date" helps me to focus and gives me a much needed deadline. Of course, knowing my fellow artists is always wonderful and the gallery members are very supportive of each other.

Thank you so much, Andrea, for sharing these insights into your new work! For more about Andrea, including additional work and artist statement, visit the Studio Gallery website.

No comments:

Post a Comment