Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Studio Gallery: An Interview with Jacqui Crocetta

Q: What's your favorite piece from the show and why?
A:One of my favorite paintings in the show is enduring a 48 x 48 abstract acrylic on canvas. There are actually quite a few paintings, or painting "attempts" underneath the final, resolved painting which, to me, adds an interesting dimension. The painting's history seems to add depth, just as the experiences in a person's life add character.
Q: Do you paint intuitively, with a hardcore plan, or somewhere in between?
A: My point of departure might be a specific color palette, but my only plan is to follow where the painting takes me. I begin by freely and fearlessly applying paint to the canvas, often times deliberately painting myself into a corner, until I reach the point in the process where I begin editing. The dance between chaos and control is what I love most about the process--moving back and forth in the space between inspiration and intention. I find that by easing up on control, I am rewarded by the discovery of complex colors and compositions, which I can then coax into becoming a painting.
Q: For this show, did you do anything differently... new techniques, subject matter, palette, etc.?
A: I created three-dimensional work for this show, which has given me the opportunity to work with new materials, an added dimension, and a different process/approach. I'm intrigued by the organic way in which an artist's work evolves--the three-dimensional pieces are in response to a nagging need I had to respond to some of the issues and events in life that challenge and fascinate me.
Q: Where do you see the DC art scene in five years? In ten?
A: I believe the future holds a rich, blended art scene for DC. There will be an increase in unique collaborations between artists and professionals in a range of industries... visual and performing artists, poets, scientists, architects, designers, urban planners, inventors, teachers, etc. Our understanding, definition of, and access to art will expand far greater than where it is today. There will be a greater emphasis on, and appreciation of, the significance of art and creativity in the evolution of society. Art will be more seamlessly integrated into everyday living.
Q: What challenges does the DC area present for local artists?
A: The lack of affordable studio space is a real problem. We need the equivalent of the incubators that exist for science and technology.
Q: What's your favorite part of being a Studio Gallery member?
A: I'm grateful to be part of the Studio Gallery community for many reasons... because our director, Adah Rose, is so innovative and passionate about art and artists, we have the best interns in town, and we have a diverse and talented group of member artists who are a source of endless support and inspiration.
Thank you, Jacqui, for sharing these insights into your new work plus your vision of the DC art scene in the future! For more about Jacqui, including additional work, artist statement and a link to her website, visit the Studio Gallery on the web and be sure to stop by to see her work in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment