Thursday, February 10, 2011

Interview with Artist Elena Stamberg


Fellow Studio Gallery member Elena Stamberg has a two-person show up soon with Trix Kuijper. The exhibit runs February 2 - 26, 2011 with a First Friday Reception (as part of the Dupont Circle Galleries openings) on 2/4 from 6 - 8 pm and another reception, Saturday 2/5, 3 - 5 pm.

Q. What's the one thing you'd like people who aren't familiar with you/your work to know about you?
A: My heart is with needle, thread and cloth. That's a fact that I should probably whisper very softly. But then, what is canvas, but cloth with a treated surface? So all painters use cloth in their work. The needle is my brush.

Q: What's your favorite piece from the show and why?
A: The pieces done on organza are my favorites. They attempt to capture the atmospheric feeling of being by the surrounding and soothing ocean.

Q: Do you work intuitively, with a hardcore plan, or somewhere in between?
A: I work intuitively in the moment having no preconceived notions as to the outcome. Sometimes the muse dances on my head and sometimes she doesn't. Then I wait.

Q: Who is your biggest influence and why?
A: I'm not really influenced by anyone. I observe, absorb and just am.

Q: For this show, did you do anything differently... new techniques, subject matter, palette, etc.?
A: The different part is that I'm showing work drawn with needle on cloth, rather than brush on paper or canvas.

Q: Where do you see the DC art scene in five years? In ten?
A: I haven't a clue. Who can predict the future, or even tomorrow?

Q: What do you feel is the best thing about being an artist in the DC area?
A: Studio Gallery. It's a wonderful space with a sculpture garden, high ceilings, we have a dynamic director, and the artists are supportive.

Q: A lot of artists have that one piece in their studio that they would never ever sell. Tell us about yours.
A: Some of my pieces have family members included and involve lots of detailed work which takes many months to complete. Those I would never sell because they are too personal.

Thanks, Elena, and best of luck with your show!

No comments:

Post a Comment