Thursday, August 4, 2011

Studio Gallery Intern Review



Every time I look at Ray van Santen's ceramic sculpture "Blue-green Sphere" it reminds me of my childhood. It reminds me of the old baby toy from the 1990s that looked like a ball with colorful knobs on it that vibrated. I remember being mesmerized by the movement of they simple toy. As I look of the sculpture, I silently wait for it to start vibrating and bounce off the table. Also, the blue-green color makes me reminisce about going to the beach and diving into the blue-green water of the ocean, the bumps on it also remind me of the waves crashing against the rocks on the shore. The different values of blue and green look like the salt water of the ocean has crashed against the shore so much that it created washed out spots on the rock. Ray's beautiful use of texture really brings this piece to life and evokes a lot of emotion to me. It also brings out a strong urge to touch the piece to feel how the bumps spread out at different points. Ray van Santen's pieces always remind me of something from my childhood and bring out a small smile on my face. While "Blue-green Sphere" reminds me of an old toy, her other piece "Dreamtime #6" remind me of giant chocolate kisses. Be sure to see these pieces at Studio Gallery's First Friday August 5th from 6-8pm.

Asia Reynolds
Virginia Commonwealth University
2015

No comments:

Post a Comment